The five papers comprise:
- An Amendment of the Hazardous Waste Management Rules 1989 to include co-processing in cement plants as a disposal option;
- Preparation of technical guidelines for setting up environmentally-sound pre-processing facilities to prepare homogenous waste mixes suitable for co-processing in cement kilns;
- Developing emission standards for co-processing AFR material in cement kilns, including hazardous wastes;
- Increasing the use of fly ash generated by coal-based power plants and refuse-derived fuels in cement plants;
- Developing guidelines for the transport and storage of hazardous waste.
IIP’s Executive Director Jigar V. Shah says: “Indian policymakers and the cement industry have put in a great deal of effort over the past few years in moving towards cleaner production methods. I am confident that together we will be able to make the future of the Indian cement industry environment-friendly and energy secure.”